Summer is on the way, and we all know what that means. It’s barbeque season! Many of our canine patients are also quite enthusiastic about barbeques. Just be sure to put your pet’s safety first. An Auburn Hills, MI vet list some tips on that below.

Food

Fido will be paying pretty close attention to those sizzling-hot foods. It’s fine to offer him something special, but be careful. Many popular foods are dangerous to pets! Never give a dog garlic, onions, scallions, or chives; nuts; pitted fruits; grapes, currants, and raisins; avocados (including guacamole); chocolate; alcohol; meat on the bone; raw meat, dough, or yeast; or anything that contains xylitol.

Heat

Overheating is a big risk for dogs at this time of year. Fido can get pretty hot in that fur coat! Make sure your pup always has shade and fresh water. On sweltering days, drop an ice cube into his bowl.

Parasites

You may find a few uninvited guests showing up for your barbeque. Protect Fido from dangerous parasites and diseases by keeping up with his preventative care.

Trash

Fido has been known to dig through the trash, hoping for leftovers. This is definitely a concern, as the garbage could contain things like bones, can lids, toothpicks, fat trimmings, and unsafe foods. Use secure trashcans, and clear the table as soon as everyone is done eating.

Fires

Pets and flames are never a safe mix! Don’t let Fido get too close to the grill. Not only is there the danger of him getting singed, he could also try to snap up something hot that’s fallen to the ground.

Chemicals

Gasoline, lighter fluid, torch oil, bug spray, and sunscreen are all toxic to dogs. Keep these things securely out of paws’ reach!

Guests

Keep in mind that not all guests are used to being around dogs. Fido also has a way of getting underfoot. Put your furry pal in a separate area when people are eating, so he doesn’t get stepped on or eat something unsafe off the ground. If you have a fenced yard, we strongly recommend getting a gate that closes securely. The last thing you want is for someone to accidentally leave it open, and let your pooch slip out.

Please contact us, your local Auburn Hills, MI vet clinic, for all of your pet’s veterinary care needs. We are here to help!